Rugs are home furnishing accessories that characterize the interior of your dwell; transiting the rug in a way that goes with your lifestyle and guest perspective. Handwoven rugs can set the tone of your home interior by uniting everything into a consistent style. A floor covering has a specific tone, pattern, material, and size that contributes to building a specific appearance.
When you are buying an area rug for your room, here are some question you should have in your mind such as “what size should I buy?”, “What color should I chose?”, “What kind of rug material will go with traffic?” and “what kind of weaving technique do you require? But while opting for an area rug, you will have too many preferences for your room.
There are endless possibilities to revamp your interior and exterior with carpets. Still, there are some rules, you need to follow by keeping your preferences on your priority –
Living Room Area
General rules for living area mats –
- Specific living room carpet sizes are 6’ X 9’, 8’ X 10’ and 9’ X 12’.
- 9 by 12 carpet is perfect for 12’ X 18’ lounge; 8 by 10 floor covering is ideal for 11’ X 13’ living space, and 6 by 9 mat is great for small-sized living room.
- Ensure your floor covering is at 6″ more extensive (8″ is ideal) than your couch from both sides.
- Add 30″ to 36″ of passage between large furniture or it should be at least 18”-24”. That will assist you to define an ideal rug size.
- For a huge lounge, the furniture acts as a focal point; a lounge rug should be big enough that furniture can be placed on the top without being cramped.
- If your couch is against the fence, put on the front two legs on the rug of all furniture.
Dining Room Area
General rules for dining area rugs –
- Standard dinette floor covering of 8’ X 10’ or 9’ X 12’.
- 8’ by 10’ dining carpets for 6 seating small eating tables; 9’ by 12’ breakfast rugs for 8 chairs medium breakfast table; and 10’ by 14’ dinette floor covering for 10 chairs large dining table.
- Require 24” – 30” on each side to slide the chairs for the perfect rug.
- A rectangular table should have a rectangular rug below the table, while a square or round table should have a square or round carpet.
- Avoid light colors.
- Rug materials that are durable and long-lasting.
Additionally, you will like your bedroom floor covering to either end short in direction of the main path or to increase past them but not on the edge of the rug. An ideal bedroom carpet completely relies upon the dimensions of your room and bed.
General rules for a bedroom area rug –
- A bedroom carpet should extend 36” and so all around the bed.
- Runners are the best option to use on both sides to add a cozier foundation for your feet.
- Standard rug sizes for twin XL or twin beds are 6’ by 9’.
- For queen and queen size beds, the ideal size of the bedroom rug is 8’ X 10’ or 9’ X 12’.
- The complete bed set on the textured area rug with all its other nearby accessories such as nightstands and a bench at the foot of your bed.
- Only two-thirds of your bed is on the luxury carpet and nightstand sitting on the hardwood surface.
- If you have a smaller rug, put one-third bed is on the contemporary area rug.
The kitchen sink is usually centralized on a fence with cabinetry adjoining, so organize your kitchen carpet with both your deck and cabinetry and spot the floor covering focused before the sink.
General rules for a kitchen area rug –
- For a large kitchen, the ideal rug size would be 9’ X 12’, 8’ X 10’, or 6’ X 9’.
- For a medium kitchen, the kitchen rug size would be 5’ by 7’, 3’ by 5’, or a runner can also be a good choice.
- For a small kitchen that can easily get messed up, a 3’ X 5’ kitchen area rug is enough.
- For a long layout kitchen, a runner will be a great choice.
- Runner rugs are perfect to furnish the narrow spaces such as the kitchen island or nearby counters.
General rules for a bathroom area rug –
- For double vanity, opt for a 2’ X 5’ bath rug.
- Want to set a rug at the door of your shower or in the front of the pedestal sink, 1.5’ X 2’ size is the perfect bathroom floor covering.
- To add comfort outside of your bathtub, get a 2’ by 3’ bathroom rug.
- If you have a huge bathroom, go for a 2.5’ X 4’ sized bath carpet.
Tips for starting your rug journey –
1. Measure all the dimensions of every area whether it is your kitchen, living area, dining room or bedroom.
2. Make a mind how would you like to keep your place of relaxation, learning, or having fun.
3. Note down all the colors of your interior including lights, plants, and home furnishing accessories to find the perfect rug color scheme.
These are the three most common pieces of advice that will boost your confidence while buying a rug online.
All these rug sizing tips are just for inspiration to enable you to find the perfect rug for your room. Make your space more special with MAT Living luxury rugs. You can also check out our outdoor rug guide for your patio or porch.
Looking for room by room guide to find the perfect rug for your home. Mat living has a extensive contemporary and luxury rug collection whether you are looking for bedroom rug, living room carpet, dining floor covering or bathroom mat, we have got you covered. Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Read Our Latest Blog:
Latest Rugs Collection